Saturday, April 14, 2012

Thoughts of Sparkle

Sadly our beloved Sparkle died suddenly last night just before his fifth birthday.



As I was coming in for the evening, I heard the cats making their customary thumps and patters on the way to greet me. Then I heard a rather unusual thud followed by two meows of distress in the kitchen. When I entered the room, Sparkle was lying on his side gasping for breath and Fizz was running toward him from the dining room. Then Sparkle was gone. I think he had a heart attack, as Maine Coon cats carry a gene for a heart defect that can bring on sudden death in this manner.



Fizz and I sat with him for a while. I stroked his silky fur and asked him to come back to us. Then Fizz walked over and tenderly put his paw on Sparkle's ruff. When Sparkle did not stir, Fizz gently and knowingly licked him a few times, then backed away and sat down to look at me.

We miss our Sparkle so very much. He died too young.







Overnight I heard Fizz calling for him to come and play. They were such devoted cat brothers.





Thank you, dear Sparkle, for five amazing years of excellent feline love and companionship.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Yes, that is much too young. It's amazing how Fizz knew. My fluffy babies are of the canine variety, but I love mine dearly.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, how sad. I am so sorry for your loss. I do know the love we have for our babies. We think of them as part of our family.
    I send you my sincere condolences. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your beautiful cat. I am not a "cat-person".....I have always had dogs, but a friend of mine has Maine coon cats and they are my absolute favorites. Such dear, sweet creatures. It's heartbreaking for all of you that you lost yours much too soon. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear this news, I know Sparkle was a good friend to you. Thinking of you this weekend :( -Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry you lost Sparkle. He was such a handsome boy.
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daphne, I'm heartbroken. This is such sad news. I feel very lucky to have met Sparkle in person. He will live on in beautiful memories and in your wonderful photographs. What a sweet kitty!

    love, Saarin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all of your kind words and support, friends. It means so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have so enjoyed seeing your cats in your pictures...they are as beautiful as a vintage table setting. I am so sorry for your loss...it's a bittersweet thing to lose a beloved animal friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. **hugs** D - Such a handsome guy. So very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete